Mul-T-Lock is a worldwide leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing High Security products.
Overall business performance reporting required manual consolidation of data from different databases and application servers, resulting in decisions based on out-of-date information. Mul-T-Lock wanted to leverage real-time transactional information, queries and business performance reports to make better business decisions.
Illumiti provided Mul-T-Lock with a working SAP® Business One solution, including Financials, Inventory and Material Requirements Planning (MRP), which went live within a 3.5-month timeframe.
- Price adjustment / gross margin assessment outcomes now within 99.9% accuracy levels
- Basic operational report generation now takes only 15% of the time previously required
- Month-end financials now close in one day instead of three days (i.e. 66% faster)
- Ability to focus on the best sales opportunities, with 100% visibility on business partner activities and purchasing habits
SAP® Business One
Mul-T-Lock Ltd. is a worldwide leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing High Security products for institutional, commercial, industrial, residential and automotive applications. Their product range includes mechanical cylinders, locks and padlocks, electromechanical locking systems and automatic assembly and key-cutting machines. The company is fully owned by ASSA ABLOY, the world’s leading manufacturer and supplier of locking solutions.
The Business Situation
With its legacy business application, Mul-T-Lock Canada was forced to manually consolidate information originating from different databases located on separate application servers in order to obtain a view of overall business performance. This process was time-consuming and effort-intensive, resulting in management reports being based on information that was at least a week old. This made it impossible to obtain accurate information about stock availability, customer credit levels and other details. Mul-T-Lock decided to implement SAP® Business One in order to establish a single application and database covering the entire business in Canada, providing real-time transactional information, queries and business performance reports. In addition, Mul-T-Lock Canada valued the ability to link its implementation with the SAP® R3 system implemented at the head office, located in Israel, e.g. for providing Sales related information in a near real-time, automated fashion.
Illumiti provided Mul-T-Lock with a working SAP® Business One solution, including Financials, Inventory and Material Requirements Planning (MRP), which went live within a 3.5-month timeframe. Key elements of the solution are highlighted below.
- Implementation of best practice processes: Mul-T-Lock employees used to ship items first and input production orders later. As part of the implementation, this was changed so that shipments were performed against valid production orders and inventory could therefore be accurately allocated and tracked.
- Change management activities: Significant change in existing practices is bound to generate some level of resistance. The implementation project included the necessary communication and training to ensure that both employees and the Mul-T-Lock head office would understand the need for change and buy into the new best practice processes.
- Migration of current business data from the two legacy system implementations into Business One: The Business One data import facility was flexible and easy to use. Mul-TLock also used Business One’s customization abilities to change or remove certain fields and to add their own custom fields, e.g. to support a specific method they use in Sales forecasting.
- New real-time queries and management reports: Sales and gross-margin by territory; buying patterns & trends; 360⁰ customer views.
- Customer profiling: Ability to drill down into customer information, view buying patterns and assess customer value based on historical transactions and future potential.
- Inventory visibility: SAP® Business One now offers visibility of Mul-T-Lock’s entire inventory, whether it be in on order, in transit from the factory or in their various warehouses.
Mul-T-Lock has realized significant benefits as a result of implementing SAP® Business One:
- Improved sales and margin forecasting: Price adjustment / gross margin assessment outcomes now within 99.9% accuracy levels
- Ability to make decisions based upon accurate and up-to-date business information: Using a single integrated system to implement best-practice processes eliminates the need for manual consolidation, ensures information is up to date and significantly reduces errors. Basic operational report generation now takes only 15% of the time previously required.
- Ability to view consolidated business performance figures and to easily drill down to investigate exceptional conditions: Month-end financials now close in one day instead of three days (i.e. 66% faster.)
- Improved customer insight: Ability to focus on the best sales opportunities, with 100% visibility on business partner activities and purchasing habits.
- Ability to interface directly with the head office’s SAP® R3 implementation
“We now know where pur growth and profitability can come from. We’ve never had this information before.”